We are a parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) in the Diocese of Great Britain and Western Europe (ROCOR), striving to live the Orthodox Faith.
We are a growing community from various backgrounds, with people from The Russian Federation, The Baltic States, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia and the USA with some converts to Orthodoxy and others exploring the Faith. At the last count we had 16 nationalities. We use the Julian Calendar and our services are mainly in English with some Church Slavonic. We are a traditional parish and very welcoming. If you are Orthodox already and looking for a parish, we are a lovely community to join. If you are interested in the Orthodox faith you are most welcome to contact us.
Divine Liturgy every Sunday at 10.00 a.m. and some Saturdays at 9.00 a.m.
Contribution Lunch and talk by one of the clergy after the Liturgy on the last Sunday of the month
Online cathechism with Father Justin by arrangement
There is normally an Akathist at 6.30 p.m. on a Wednesday evening except in Lent when it precedes the Presanctified Liturgy
For arrangements of services please see the details below
Father Paul, our parish priest, can be contacted on 07926194031 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regular members of the congregation will be informed of services by text message.
- Private arrangements for confession or receiving of Holy Comunion are always possible.
|Sunday 29th May||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.||
Contribution meal and brief AGM
Last Sunday of Pascha
|Wednesday 1st June||
Vespers of the Ascension of the Lord
Thursday 2nd June
Divine Liturgy of the Ascension of the Lord
|Saturday 4th June||Pannikhida||10.30 a.m.|
|Sunday 5th June||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.||Sunday after the Ascension|
|Wednesday 8th June||Akathist||6.30 p.m.|
|Saturday 11th June||2.30 p.m.||Children's Church|
|Sunday 12th June||Divine Liturgy follwed by the Kneeling Prayers||10.00 a.m.||Pentecost|
|Wednesday 15th June||
|Sunday 19th June||
Lesser blessing of the waters
All Saints Sunday
(Altar Feast of the Iconastas from All Saints Barons Court)
Talk by Father Justin ..."The Iconastas, its development and its meaning." followed by contribution lunch.
Start of the Apostles Fast
|Wednesday 22nd June||
|Friday 24th June||Pannikhida||10.00 a.m.||
40 days since repose of Metropolitan Hilarion
|Saturday 25th June||Divine Liturgy||9.00 a.m.|
|Sunday 26th June||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.||
Fish allowed (no dairy)
|Wednesday 29th June||Akathist||6.30 p.m.||
|Sunday 3rd July||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.|
|Wednesday 6th July||Akathist||6.30 p.m.|
|Sunday 10th July||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.|
|Tuesday 12th July||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.||St Peter and St Paul|
|Wednesday 13th July||Akathist||6.30 p.m.|
|Saturday 16th July||Divine Liturgy||9.00 a.m.|
|Sunday 17th July||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.||Royal Martyrs. Altar Feast of Lower Church of the Cathedral|
|Monday 18th July||Divine Liturgy||10.00 a.m.||St Elisabeth|
|Wednesday 20th July||Akathist of St Elisabeth and St Barbara||6.30 p.m.|
|Saturday 23rd July||Great Vespers||5.30 p.m.|
|Sunday 24th July||
Lesser Blessing of the Waters
Meeting the Bishop
Hierarchal Divine Liturgy and Cross Procession
Garden Party at 58 Shrewsbury Road CH43 2HY
after the Liturgy
|Sunday 31st July||no services||Church closed for redecoration work|
If you have any concerns please contact Father Paul on 07926194031 or email@example.com
- On Sunday 19th June there will be a contribution meal and a talk by Father Justin on the Meaning and Development of the Iconastas. The Icons of our Iconastas were blessed originally on this Sunday in 1929.
- There will be a Pannikhida at 10.00 a.m. on Friday 24th June to mark the 40th day after the repose of Metropolitan Hilarion.
- On Sunday 26th June there will be a contribution lunch after church.
- There will be a very quiet liturgy on the morning of the Tuesday 12th July for the Feast of St Peter and St Paul and again on Monday 18th July at 10.00 a.m. for the actual feast of St Elisabeth.
- The Parish Altar Feast is on Sunday 24th July followed by a Garden Party at Fr Paul and Matushka Elizabeth's house at 58 Shrewsbury Road, Oxton CH43 2 HY. Bishop Irenei will be with us on the occasion. We will meet the Bishop at 9.45 a.m. and the Hierarchal Liturgy will begin at about 10.00 a.m. followed by a Cross Procession.
- The Divine Liturgy is currently served on some Saturdays at 9.00 a.m. and always on Sunday at 10.00 a.m. and on certain weekday festivals. Please check in the schedule of services published above.
- A simple peoples' service book in English and Russian can be downloaded and printed. You can find more services under "Liturgica" on this website.
- A new timetable of services for June and July has been published above.
- An Akathist or Moleben will be served most Wednesday evenings at 6.30 p.m. though in Lent it precedes the Presanctified Liturgy at 5.30 p.m. normally.
- Baptisms will normally take place on Saturday mornings during or immediately after Divine Liturgy or at about 10.00 a.m.
- Choir Practice has resumed. but is now up at church.
Children are welcome at the Divine Liturgy. If they need a bit of "time out" there is a place for them in the side porch where mums or dads can sit with them with some toys and books and they can still see what is happening in the Liturgy.
This Parish supports the Fund for Assistance. Please consider this in your giving.
Father Paul will send £500 to this Christmas appeal this year. We are very fortunate at St Elisabeth's and so should look at opportunities to support those priests and parishes far less fortunate than ourselves.
Well done St Elisabeth's!
Fr Paul now serves a few more weekday services.
Fr Paul hopes to serve the simple abbreviated Anointing Service once more in the near future. The Unction service will be served by our Bishop on Sunday 20th March
Moleben of intercession
There will normally be a Moleben of intercession or Akathist before the relics of St Elisabeth, St Barbara and St John of Shanghai served on some Wednesdays at 6.30p.m. These services may be subject to change due to Fr Paul's commitments. It is best to text Fr Paul on 07926194031 to check if it is going ahead.
Great Vespers is often served on the eves of Great Feasts
The Divine Liturgy is served on some Saturdays at 9.00.a.m. and , whenever possible on Great Feasts.
This will be served during Great Lent normally on most Wednesday evenings after the Akathist and on some Friday Mornings
These are served on request and on some Saturdays during March and April
Church Singing is a very important work in any Russian Orthodox Parish. Matushka Elizabeth is the choir director and works hard to enable the choir to sing as beautifully as possible. We are blessed with some very good singers and the choir does a wonderful job creating the right prayerful atmosphere for the Holy Liturgy. If you feel you are able to contribute to choral singing please speak to Matushka. We especially need singers for occasional and weekday services.
Since the earliest times young men served in the altar. This is important work as it enables the Bishop or Priest to concentrate on the prayers. The traditional vesture for a server is the Stichar, which was originally a decorated garment which covered the toga in the Eastern Roman Empire. The vesture assists the server to step into the role and stay focused upon spiritual work. We have a number of servers at St Elisabeth's who greatly add to the solemnity of the service and therefore the sense of holiness. Some new vestments have just been made for them at the Convent of St Elisabeth, in Minsk. Some of the funding for this has come from Lena Miloshovich in memory of her mother Dushanka. Father Paul is very grateful for those who assist him in the altar. If you are interested in serving in the altar, please talk to Reader Chad.
We are delighted that you would like to have your child baptised in our church. Baptisms are normally conducted at about 10:30 on a Saturday morning though other arrangements can be made. The post code of the church is CH45 5DE. Father Paul’s phone number is 07926194031 and his email is firstname.lastname@example.org Please fill in the online Baptism Registration form and email it to Fr Paul. For details of having your son or daughter baptised in St Elisabeth's please follow this link : Baptism in the Russian Orthodox Church
Getting married in St Elisabeth's can be arranged. Normally, the couple must be married in the Registery Office first unless the Registrar is present. The couple should both be baptised and free to marry. The chief bridesmaid and the best man should be of the Orthodox faith. Couples should normally ask Fr Paul to seek a blessing from Bishop Irenei before the wedding is arranged especially if either the bride or the groom are not of the Orthodox Faith. A blessing can be granted, though any children of the marriage must be brought up Orthodox. Weddings take place normally at 13:00 on a Sunday and only then outside the church fasts.
St Elisabeth's Russian Orthodox Church - Liverpool, Wallasey, Birkenhead